» Sustainable control of Poultry Red Mites » Through which routes can red mite be introduced on-farm? » Reply To: Through which routes can red mite be introduced on-farm?
There are a number of things you can do to try and limit the risk of introducing red mites on your farm:
– all materials coming into the hen house (such as egg trays) should be clean, so this is something that can be checked visually by the farmer
– prevent exchanging equipment between houses (e.g. brooms, buckets,…)
– when layer farmers visit the pullet farm prior to transfer, discuss with the hatchery/pullet farmer whether they have had issues with red mite in the past
– upon arrival on the laying farm, perform a visual check of crates/containers
– staff and visitors need to wear company clothing (and preferably shower before entering)